Thursday, March 5, 2015

A simple lunch






After a beautiful walk on the trails and quick trip to the library, Gus and I came home starving for lunch.

I got him settled in his chair with a few snacks and whisked together three eggs with a splash of buttermilk (I prefer cream but didn't have any on hand) and salt and pepper. I cooked a big omelette (with feta) for us to share and got some water boiling. Guys- I like boiled vegetables now! It's all Tamar Adler's fault! She is the author of the book, "An Everlasting Meal", where among other things, she extols the virtues of cooking with boiling water. I eat so much more cauliflower and broccoli since my boiling conversion because it's so much faster than roasting and I dislike raw crudités. I salt the water as Tamar would like you to and I prefer boiling medium size spears for about 4 minutes. The tough crunch is gone but they aren't mushy. Also- salt your eggs and veggies directly and I had a lemon on hand so I micro-planed some lemon zest over it all. It was so satisfying and felt so good for my body too. Broccoli is the original kale, don't you think? And I like it way better than kale even though I don't mind kale that much. Gus gobbled it up too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment