Sunday, September 14, 2014

French apple tart with an infant by your side


A few nights ago I was hosting a book club social and decided to make this recipe I saw on A Cup of Jo

First things first: I poured myself a nice cold glass of diet Pepsi with cherry (even though I hate pop!!) because I'm exhausted from getting up with a baby all night:)


Next: I got excited to try my new scale that Calvin's brother gave us for Christmas last year. It made me feel extra French to not have to Google how much flour, in cups, the recipe called for.


Making pastry always reminds me of my days working at Savary Island Pie Company in West  Van.  My best advice for people intimidated by making pastry is- do not fear the pastry! Believe in it- don't over mix it and get excited for how much better it tastes than store bought crusts. But don't be too good for store bought crusts if you're in a rush:) 



I skipped chilling the dough because who has time for that? It might be better chilled but I'll never know the difference.



Let baby boy try some apple while you work:)


Arrange the apples.


I felt very righteous seeing my tools washed and drying while the tart baked so I had to take a photo.


Pulled it out before burning the top too badly. Broiling is SO tough, especially when baby boy gets sad. But still- I think it's a very pretty dessert and with only 3 Tablespoons of sugar in the recipe, it's really not too sweet. 


I also baked a little tart with the leftover pastry and apples so Calvin and I could have some before guests arrived. Sorry these next two photos are blurry:)


I bet you could substitute any in season fruit in this recipe and have a very elegant looking dessert. Was fun to test it out! Plums would be really nice and tart. 



2 comments: